≡ Menu

How to Get International Driving Permit from Malaysia

This post applies to a Malaysian who holds a valid Malaysian driving license. If you are planning to travel overseas- whether for vacation or work and you forsee that you will need to drive, please get an International Driving Permit. You need not sit for theory exams or do your practical just to get the permit. Just prepare the documents below and pay up:


  • a valid Malaysian driving license with at least one year expiry date. For instance, if you intend to apply for the permit on April 09, ensure that at least, your current driving license will expire earliest on May 2010. If it expires on Jan 2010, the permit will not be issued to you
  • 2 passport size colour photos
  • Photocopy of your identity card (NRIC) and Malaysian driving license- photocopy front and back on the same page
  • RM 150 for the permit fee

The application has to be done at the Road Transport Department (Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan)- only at the main branches- not the small ones. If you want to save yourself the hassle, you may want to consider engaging a driving school to obtain the license for you (don’t forget to provide the documents above)- you’ll probably need to pay extra RM20 as commission. But at least, you need not do the running around- they will do it for you- but you will need to come back to get the permit. But if you have time, you can go directly to the Road Transport Department during office hours- they will issue on the spot.

The International Driving Permit (Surat Kebenaran Membawa Kereta Antarabangsa) is valid in many countries.

If you like this post, say thanks by sharing it:
  • jitender Singh July 16, 2009, 10:40 am

    Dear Sir,
    i’m holding local malaysian driving license from last two years. My license will be expired on 14/07/2012.
    i would like to apply international driving license from kk sabah.
    please advice me what is the documents requird and fees as well. How long times take it.

    looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you.

  • Yin Teing July 16, 2009, 1:11 pm

    Hi Jitender,
    Through my personal experience, I approached a reputable driving school to get the license issued. I pay about extra RM20 but saved on a lot of hassle, ie filling the form wrongly or going to a Road Department who does not issue the license (not all Road Department issues the license). A driving school exprienced in helping others to issue the license will tell you exactly what you need to bring and the school will have everything done for it. It will take about one or two working days. Hope this helps.

  • Parameswari Sundaram Pillai May 3, 2011, 7:31 pm

    My daughter’s driving license expires on 3.10.2011. Can she apply for the international license now and if so, can she do it at the JPJ department at Pertama Complex?
    Thank you.

    • Yin May 3, 2011, 7:42 pm

      Hi Parameswari,
      Nope, she need to first renew her license to next year. I have not applied directly from JPJ- previously I got a driving school to do it for me and paid extra.

  • Cheng May 3, 2011, 10:19 pm

    Hello good afternoon,

    I’ve dutch residence permit and have lived in Holland for 4 years, as I understand my Msian driving license cannot converted into Dutch driving license, I’ve to re do the whole exam that cost a fortune. I wonder if I convert it to Inter’l driving license will it be accepted in Holland ? desperate to know what’s the best way to get to drive in Holland or convert it to dutch driving license. (because it’s extremely expensive to have driving license) Thanks in advance.

    • Yin May 4, 2011, 7:03 am

      Hi Cheng, based on the listing of countries provided- International driving license is recognized in Holland. But if you are a Malaysian, you would have to do the license in Malaysia because they refer based on your Malaysian driving license. But having the international driving license costs about RM160 per year (the last I know). Not sure if the price had gone up.

  • Cheng May 4, 2011, 6:09 pm

    Hi Yin, Thansk very much for your advice. Given to the documents they required for Int’l driving license, 2 photos & photocopy of my Msian IC + fee and also as adviced by you better to get the reputable driving school to arrange it for me instead of I’ve to go personally to the JPJ. As I’m now in Holland, would that be a sensible idea to do so ?
    many thanks.

    • Yin May 4, 2011, 9:26 pm

      Hi Cheng, it would be either you would need to come back to Malaysia, else get a family member in Malaysia to help prepare the documents and courier you to license. But do confirm with Holland if they have no issue accepting the international driving license.

    • Jo January 31, 2013, 4:06 am

      Hi Cheng,

      I am interested in making an international driving license in Malaysia to drive in the Netherlands. However, I will only go back to Malaysia later in the year.

      May I know if you have managed to convert your driving license to international license and is it accepted by the Dutch authorities?

      Thank you in advance.

  • Michelle Chai August 5, 2011, 10:52 pm

    Do they recognise the international driving licence in Dubai?


  • john November 22, 2011, 1:19 am

    my self have driving license and really 3 year no renew,and question is can renew gain for license.

    • Yin November 26, 2011, 6:07 pm

      I don’t think so- if after 3 years you do not renew, you need to retake

  • balamurugan November 30, 2011, 10:34 pm

    Hello sir, I am from india. I have malaysia license , can i change to international license. Thank you

    • Yin December 25, 2011, 4:18 pm

      Hi Balamurugan,
      Do contact the nearest driving school who would be able to advise accordingly. They assist those who obtain the international driving license with a small fee. Usually, anything i am not sure i would also check with them

  • Rox December 1, 2011, 3:22 pm


    I’m a Malaysian and obtain PR in Spore. I travel daily from JB to Spore to work. As per Spore rules, PR are not allowed to drive Msia plate vehicle in Spore. If I apply internation driving license/permit, do you know whether I’m allow to drive Msia plate car to Spore?

    • Yin December 25, 2011, 4:17 pm

      Dear Rox, for that, I am not sure- you would need to confirm with the Singapore authorities.

  • Jan March 25, 2012, 1:38 pm

    After I apply for the IDP at the JPJ office, how long does it take to obtain it? Also what happens to my Malaysian Driving License? Do I get to keep both since IDP is basically just a translation to English.

    • Yin March 26, 2012, 10:18 pm

      hi Jan,
      If you apply at the JPJ office, you should be able to get it immediately (provided the system is not down). Nothing happens to your Malaysian driving license- you still keep it in your wallet (no need to surrender it). The international driving license is only used when you are overseas. If in Malaysia, we still use back our own license.

  • wise July 29, 2012, 8:42 pm

    I am a fijian and i am holiding a fijian licence,can i make my international licence here in malaysia coz am staying in malaysia….

  • tan September 2, 2012, 8:59 am

    official JPJ website for the requirement

Leave a Comment

+ 9 = 17