In the previous article, I’ve mentioned the advantages and disadvantages of looking for non technical skills/fast food restaurant jobs.
The next categories of jobs that are harder to come by but would add in your resume are office related jobs.
Examples of office temporarily/ part-time jobs:
1. Data entry clerks (requires quick typing skills)
2. Filling clerks
3. Receptionist/ front office
4. Membership consultants (face-to-face/ telemarketers)
5. Summer camp instructors/helpers- working with children, or certain categories
How to find jobs like these:
1. Via the contacts you know- do they need anyone on a temporarily basis to help with certain office tasks?
2. Via job placement agencies (online and offline)- send your resumes even before the holiday starts to get ahead
3. Online communities and forums- the popular ones at your area may carry job opportunities by some who want to save on advertising. But do a good check to ensure the job is not some kind of scam.
4. Via job advertisements- you may not be able to land a job in a big company- look for those small little ads- you would stand a better chance.
1. Becareful of scams or jobs that seemed to overpromise
Once, I interviewed an office job that requires no working experience. I went in and was bought around by a guy who was selling watches for RM20 each. The guy himself just graduated from Australia and he was supposed to be my mentor for the day. I am sure today he is successful because he had very good selling skills- but I believed he was given a lot of promises by this boss who made people go round selling watches, educational toys, etc. The commission is really little.
There are also advertisements that promises that you will get rich quick- unless you want to go into multi level marketing, or high risk venture like forex trading (you got to have lots of knowledge for it, else you can be easily cheated from your savings). There is no free lunch- and when you are young, it is a good idea to work harder to get some experience.
2. Your job gives you a good idea on what you could be dealing with in future.
Being young, I am sure you have problem deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life. The best way to find out is to work, and observe how others work and decide if you are willing to spend the rest of your lives like them. No matter how you think or visualize, you will not know until you try and experience it for yourself.
In the next article, I will share my personal experience that explains why choosing the correct type of holiday and summer jobs can give you a good indication of what type of career that is suitable for you.